Board of Directors
- Professional Background: A director of our company since September 2008. Mr. Fitzgerald is Chairman of our Board and Chief Executive Officer of our company. Mr. Fitzgerald has also served as a director of our principal operating subsidiary, Monitronics International, Inc. (Monitronics), since December 2010 and served as Chairman of Ascent Media Group, LLC (AMG) from July 2000 until we sold AMG at the end of 2010. Mr. Fitzgerald also served as a Senior Vice President of Liberty Interactive Corporation (Liberty Interactive) and its predecessors from July 2000 to September 2011 and as a Senior Vice President of the former Liberty Media Corporation (currently known as Starz) (Old LMC) from its split-off from Liberty Interactive in September 2011 to December 2012. Prior to joining Liberty Interactive, Mr. Fitzgerald served as Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Operations Administration for AT&T Broadband (formerly known as Tele-Communications, Inc. (TCI)), from 1998 to 2000 and was Executive Vice President, Corporate Development and Chief Operating Officer of TCI Communications, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of TCI, from 1996 to 1998.
- Other Public Company Directorships: Mr. Fitzgerald has served as a director of Piper Jaffray Companies since March 2014. Mr. Fitzgerald served as a director of Expedia, Inc. from March 2006 to December 2012, during which time he also served as a member of the compensation committee. Mr. Fitzgerald also served as a director of TripAdvisor, Inc. from December 2011 to February 2013. In addition, Mr. Fitzgerald served as a director of On Command Corporation from 2001 to 2005 and Cablevision Systems Corporation from 1999 to 2000.
- Board Qualification: Mr. Fitzgerald brings to our Board over 30 years of experience in the media and telecommunications industries, as well as subscription-based businesses. He has an in-depth understanding of our business and the history of our organization coupled with significant executive and leadership experience.
Jeffery Gardner was appointed Chief Executive Officer of Monitronics in September 2015. Jeff brings over 25 years of experience in the telecommunications industry and has specific expertise in the areas of operations management, strategic development, finance, accounting and financial reporting. Most recently, Jeff served as President and Chief Executive Officer of Windstream Holdings, Inc. where he led the acquisition of nine entities since 2006 with a combined value of over $5 billion. He previously served as Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Alltel Corporation where he oversaw the Company's financial operations and spent his early career at 360 Communications, holding various executive positions in the Company.
Jeff currently serves on the Board of Directors for CalAmp Corporation and the Qorvo Corporation, where he is also Chairman of the audit committee. From 2006 through February 1, 2015, he also served on the Board of Directors for Windstream Corporation. From 2012-2013, he served as Chairman of the United States Telecom Association.
Jeff received a Bachelor's degree in finance and accounting from Purdue University and holds an MBA from the College of William & Mary.
- Professional Background: Mr. Tanabe retired in 2013 as Executive Vice President and General Counsel of Liberty Media Corporation and Liberty Interactive Corporation after 14 years of service in those or similar capacities for those and predecessor or affiliated companies. In his capacity as chief legal officer, he participated in the initiation, negotiation and completion of numerous transactions. He also managed the defense or prosecution of litigation for his companies and the development and implementation of their corporate compliance programs. Before joining Liberty Media he was a practicing attorney with Sherman & Howard LLC, a law firm based in Denver, Colorado, specializing in mergers and acquisitions and financing transactions for clients engaged in a variety of industries, including cable television and other communications and media businesses. Mr. Tanabe is currently employed by Liberty Media and Liberty Interactive in a consulting role.
- Other Public Company Directorships: Mr. Tanabe serves as a director of Starz. He is a former director of SIRIUS XM Radio Inc. and FUN Technologies, Inc.
- Board Qualification: Mr. Tanabe brings to our Board extensive executive leadership experience and perspective with respect to the legal operations, risk management policies and management of public companies in the communications, e-commerce, media and entertainment businesses.
- Professional Background: A director of our company since September 2008. Mr. Holthouse has been a partner with Holthouse Carlin & Van Trigt LLP since 1991, where he provides tax planning and tax consulting services for privately held businesses and high net-worth individuals primarily in the real estate, entertainment and service industries. Mr. Holthouse is a certified public accountant.
- Other Public Company Directorships: Mr. Holthouse served on the board of directors and audit committee of Napster, Inc. from January 2004 to October 2008.
- Board Qualification: Mr. Holthouse brings to our Board experience as a public company director and an audit committee member. His tax and accounting training enables him to provide our Board with sophisticated financial insight and to fulfill his function as audit committee chairman.
- Professional Background: A director of our company since September 2008. Mr. Pohl serves as an advisor to companies in the technology, media and telecommunications industries. Mr. Pohl has served on the board of directors of BlackArrow, Inc. since January 2012 and was appointed as Chairman of its board of directors in June 2012. Mr. Pohl has served on the board of Think Analytics since March 2013 and on the board of Imagine Communications Corp. since March 2013, having previously served on the board of its predecessor, Harris Broadcast. From December 2007 to April 2008, Mr. Pohl served as the Interim Vice President/General Manager of the On Demand Systems Division of ARRIS Group, Inc., a communications technology company specializing in the design and engineering of broadband networks (ARRIS). Mr. Pohl was President of Global Strategies at C-COR Incorporated (C-COR) from December 2005 to November 2007, when C-COR was acquired by ARRIS, and served as the President and Chief Executive Officer of nCUBE Corporation, an interactive video server company, from December 1999 to December 2005. Mr. Pohl has been and continues to be actively involved in numerous industry associations and received the National Cable and Telecommunications Association’s highest honor, the Vanguard Award, in 2008.
- Other Public Company Directorships: Mr. Pohl served on the board of directors and compensation committee of BigBand Networks, Inc. from May 2009 through the sale of the company to ARRIS in November 2011, during which time he served on the audit committee of its board of directors beginning in June 2009 and served as Chairman of its board of directors beginning in February 2010.
- Board Qualification: Mr. Pohl brings to our Board valuable technological insight and over 25 years of extensive experience with technology companies. His management experience and financial expertise is complemented by his knowledge of applied sciences.
- Professional Background: A director of our company since December 2009. Mr. Vogel is currently a Senior Advisor to DISH Networks Corporation (DISH), a publicly-traded company providing pay-TV services, and served as President of DISH from September 2006 until February 2008 and Vice Chairman of DISH from June 2005 until March 2009. Mr. Vogel has also been the president and sole stockholder of Bulldog Capital, Inc., a private investment firm, through which he has, since November 2011, been a Senior Advisor of The Gores Group, a Los Angeles based private equity firm. From October 2007 until March 2009, Mr. Vogel served as a Senior Advisor to EchoStar Corporation (EchoStar), a publicly-traded company in the digital set-top box and satellite services businesses. From 2001 until 2005, Mr. Vogel served as the President and CEO of Charter Communications Inc. (Charter), a publicly-traded company providing cable television and broadband services. Prior to joining Charter, Mr. Vogel worked as an executive officer in various capacities for companies affiliated with the predecessors of Liberty Interactive Corporation and Old LMC. Mr. Vogel held various executive positions with DISH from 1994 until 1997, including serving as the President from 1995 until 1997. Mr. Vogel also has served on various private company boards.
- Other Public Company Directorships: Mr. Vogel has served on the board of directors AMC Networks Inc. (AMC Networks) since June of 2013 and serves as chairman of the audit committee of AMC Networks and as a member of its compensation committee. Mr. Vogel has served on the board of directors of DISH since May 2005 and on the board of directors and audit committee of Universal Electronics Inc., a publicly-traded company providing wireless control technology for the connected home, since October 2009. In addition, Mr. Vogel has served on the board of directors of Sirius XM Holdings Inc. (Sirius), a publicly-traded satellite radio system operator and broadcaster, since April 2011, and has served on its compensation committee and nominating and corporate governance committee of Sirius since 2012 and has served as chairman of its compensation committee since April 2013. Mr. Vogel has also served on the board of directors and audit committees of Shaw Communications, Inc., a publicly-traded diversified communications company providing broadband cable and direct-to-home satellite services in Canada, since 2006 and NextWave Wireless Inc. from November 2009 to January 2013 (where he has served as the chair of the audit committee from March 2010 to January 2013). From October 2007 until March 2009, Mr. Vogel served as the Vice Chairman of the board of directors of EchoStar. From October 2001 to January 2005, Mr. Vogel served on the board of directors of Charter.
- Board Qualification: Mr. Vogel brings to our Board extensive executive leadership experience and board experience, including experience with subscription-based businesses, along with professional accounting and financial expertise.